Monday 4 July 2005

Life, and Other Trivia

It's been an awkward week.

Last Wednesday, I was out jogging at around 7:30pm. It's winter here, so it was pretty dark. The upshot of which is that I managed to fall, dealing myself a number of minor injuries—including one hand torn open, which is the chief cause of the awkwardness I mentioned—it's just hard to work one-handed—and totally destroying my iPod.

If you don't happen to own an iPod, you may not fully appreciate how much of a general pain in the butt it is to lose the thing. So just take my word for it.

So there's the question of replacement. This is necessary, because apart from anything else I find it hard to exercise except to music. (And please don't tell me I should just get a radio or a portable CD player. Just…don't.) Sadly, while a new iPod isn't that expensive, it would be a dent in my finances that I don't need right now. So eventually I decided to try an iPod Shuffle. It works out to about NZ$170, which I could afford, and is a somewhat unbelievable device. Smaller than two fingers, about the same weight as a ball-point pen, and it holds 100-120 songs. Wow. That's all. Wow.

What can I say? Angus is happy again. :)

Well, except for the hand. That's still kind of grotty. (We're talking "oozing fluids" here.) But hey, I can type.

In fact, I was going to be typing SM4200 right now, but instead I'm typing this. Sometimes I worry about my priorities.

 

Priorities. Yeah. For example, faced with having to finish off a chapter, I went out and bought a PS2 instead. (Buying the PS2 is one of the reasons my finances didn't need extra dents, when I suddenly had to replace an iPod.) Said PS2 and I have been getting to know one another, and I'm prepared to say that Jak and Daxter is a pretty good game.

Certain friends have told me that if I like Jak, I'll probably like Ratchet and Clank, and who knows? They may be right! I expect I'll find out before long. Plus I've heard Jaelle talk about the Final Fantasy games far too often, so I'll probably have to try them…

My mother and brother came over to dinner yesterday and my brother staked out the PS2. We sat around all afternoon and watched him play Jak. In three or four hours, starting from scratch, he managed to get much further than I'd done in the previous several days. It was extremely annoying. But at least I know what to do now! A-hahaha! Hollow laugh.

 

I bought a new painting, too. Well, a print. It's Salvador Dali's The Elephants, which is weird and grotesque and haunts me and I like it a lot.

And that's Angus's week.

6 Comments:

At 5 July 2005 at 06:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww! I'm sorry to hear about your fall, especially the destruction of your Ipod. I have just recently acquired one and I think I'd cry if anything happened. Have you checked out Itrip? Plug it into the Ipod and be able to play your Ipod through any radio! Amazing..it really is. Getting a good skin is helpful too. I think if I had an ipod shuffle I'd drop it all the time..they're so freakin small!

Destroy the PS2..it's a great source of evil.
-lynz

 
At 5 July 2005 at 21:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

iPod bah. I bought an iRiver over that monopolistic player, and I'm far happier. Besides, iPod doesn't recognize Ogg Vorbis, and there's no way I'd re-rip about 10 gigs of my music just to put them back into mp3.

(Plus, colour screen. Ooo.)

- Sokudo

 
At 6 July 2005 at 02:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting..I just heard about this iriver thing last night while my friend and I were cruising ebay so she can buy a 3rd gen ipod.
The iriver page was confusing, of course it was fairly late at night..
-lynz

 
At 6 July 2005 at 06:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch... falling ain't fun... I'm a past master at it (cane, anyone? ^.~).

As for the PS2... I've heard good things about 'Ratchet and Clank'...but for the sake of Sailor Moon 4200... do NOT get FFXI. Not that it isn't a great game, it is! I love it... and play it far too much *^.^*
But I think SM4200 would go on permanant hiatus if you got sucked into the MMORPG world^^;;

~DRD1812

 
At 6 July 2005 at 07:08, Blogger Angus said...

I have studiously avoided any number of MMORPG games to date, and plan to continue. (Ahem, tempting though they may be.) And I am still writing, honest.

As for iRivers and Ogg...? Pff. There's a reason iPods do well and other music players do not.

 
At 7 July 2005 at 12:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Final Fantasy is a bloody mind sucking biatch... but damn is it fun..! My first was FF7, and it's been my favorite ever since (probably because it was my first....)

Hope you're recovering quickly from that nasty fall. <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home