Tuesday 8 March 2005

Melodrama and SM4200

A sin to which I've occasionally been prone, alas. There are moments back in chapter 9—a chapter which, when I first finished it, I strongly believed was the best thing I'd ever done—which make me cringe now. I'm particularly thinking of the line about like the slamming of coffin lids. Purple, purple prose. Will be cleaned up someday.

The relevance? In chapter 12, I've started catching myself using scene breaks as a melodramatic way to underscore a plot point—like in a TV program, where someone says something portentious, and the music comes up and you cut to a commercial. Cheap and slightly tacky. Not sure if it comes across that way to a reader, but I'll have to keep an eye on it.

For now I'm too depressed and addled with 'flu to judge. (Note the casual play for sympathy. Don't bother responding; chances are, by the time you did I'd be feeling fine again nyway.)

Progress update: 8506 words. Six months gone since chapter 11, and that's all I've got to show for it. At this rate I'll finish the story sometime after I die of old age. If I were you, I wouldn't put up with it. Go read someone better and faster. I've just been re-reading Empire of the Sun and noticing all over again how much better a writer the author is than me.

6 Comments:

At 9 March 2005 at 02:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angus
Don't be a doofus! From my years of reading sailormoon fanfics, 6 years-damn thats been a long time, i have not seen such an Intriguing plotline as sm4200. Obviously the downside for some people would b the fact that we have to wait so long to read the next installment of the storyline. But i for one are truely hooked. i rate you as one of my most favorite authors alongside Jackie Chiang. You have retained the essence of sailormoon, but made this story your own. Don't give up, keep this story going, i am truely dying to hear how it shall end.

 
At 9 March 2005 at 05:17, Blogger Angus said...

Oh, I'm not giving up; have no fear of that. Just feeling sorry for myself, as you probably guessed. :)

I meant what I said about "Empire of the Sun," though. Sophia Prester can WRITE.

 
At 9 March 2005 at 23:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll make you a deal; you finish 4200 before we're all collecting Social Security, and I'll finish Pretty Soldiers at the same time, thus concluding two works of ridiculous size and showing them all.

We could have a party. Balloons. Clowns. Cosplay. A "Were You Insane Enough To Stick With Us?" contest.

- Sokudo

 
At 10 March 2005 at 15:55, Blogger Angus said...

Okay, so you can write too. :)

You've made a serious tactical error, though. You've introduced me to a very good story that I hadn't read before, and now I'm going to have to devote hours and hours where I could be writing, reading "Pretty Soldiers" instead ...

Ah, life is hard.

 
At 11 March 2005 at 10:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look what you've done Sokudo!! Though, I have to admit that Pretty Soliders is also one of the best stories out there an well worth the time spent reading (unless you're an author and should be spending time writing).

It's not fair to compare Empire of the Sun to SM4200. They are both wonderful deep stories, but completely different. I love them both though I am a bit more anxiously awaiting SM4200's next chapter.

 
At 11 March 2005 at 10:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look what you've done Sokudo!! Though, I have to admit that Pretty Soliders is also one of the best stories out there an well worth the time spent reading (unless you're an author and should be spending time writing).

It's not fair to compare Empire of the Sun to SM4200. They are both wonderful deep stories, but completely different. I love them both though I am a bit more anxiously awaiting SM4200's next chapter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home