Sunday 22 February 2009

Back on the net!

Yes, I've been away for quite a while. Sorry. It hasn't been voluntary.

Last time I posted, I said I was about to move house. Well, the move itself went very smoothly. (4000+ books notwithstanding, I was completely unpacked within two weeks. Just in time to host some visiting family for Christmas Day.) I'm now living in a quiet, peaceful, rather beautiful neighbourhood in eastern Wellington, only half a block from the beach. Settling in nicely and I think I'll be very happy here.

Sadly, my phone and internet connections did not go smoothly. It took more than two months to get either going again—and all of it the phone company's fault. Trouble is, I switched to cable at the same time as I moved, and there's only one cable operator in the area, so I'm not big on options.

So, the reason for the long hiatus was simply that I had no choice. Since I got connected I've been playing catch-up, of course. Thank you all very much for your messages of support. I've read them and they're most appreciated.

Oh, and of course I've gotten a bit of writing done in the interim. :)

Progress: well, I've broken 71,000 words. Chapter 14 is well and truly novel-length now, and significantly longer than any other. And getting positively grim in some places—fair warning!

It's also getting really close to finished. I've got the big battle sequence to finish off, a smallish aftermath segment, and the closing scene to write. That's all.

11 Comments:

At 22 February 2009 at 04:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back! \o/ I have been reading this story for years, still I can't wait for the next chapter.:D

 
At 24 February 2009 at 16:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He lives! That he does! *hugs Angus* Slightly worried we were becoming. Meh heh. Good to see you back. And good to hear the writing's coming along! *inner fangirlish scream* I must contain the madness....

I'm looking forward to having these questions finally answered. And seeing several characters... well... meh heh.. let's just ignore the dumptruck and six foot deep plots dug in my back yard, shall we?

I can't really say much more as Grams'll kill me if she finds out I'm online right now. But good luck, Angus! In whatever you endeavor, not just writing wise. Your fic's been a blessing to read, so hopefully your karma or whatever will boomerang back and this fic will definately never be forgotten. (It's on tvtropes I noticed. meh heh.)

Anywho, later.

~Be Safe, Fenris B.

 
At 24 February 2009 at 17:41, Blogger Angus said...

Interesting point about tvtropes. I noticed a new months ago that SM4200 was listed there. No idea who added it; it certainly wasn't me. But, er, whoever it was, thanks! :)

 
At 24 February 2009 at 18:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was getting worried. But you're back! And when I read you were almost finished with it, a thrill went down my stomach and I giggled like a drunk playboy bunny.

Which is when you know you need more friends and better hobbies.

But since I desire neither-- the next chapter will do. ZOMG like ZOMG there is so much to look forward to. :D

 
At 26 February 2009 at 03:27, Blogger Jana said...

Nothing more annoying when your internet (and phone as well!) connection takes a long time to get in order! It makes you breathe a long sigh of relief when it gets up and going doesn't it?

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next chapter, and welcome back to the world wide web!

;)

 
At 26 February 2009 at 22:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprise (and very glad!) to see you're still working on SM4200!

I read your earlier post regarding the fact that you want to see it finished even though you've lost your enthusiasm for the story, and I thought "man, this guy's dedication puts all the other writers with WIPs to shame!"

I've been following this story on and off for close to a decade (probably A decade.. I started when I was still in highschool..) and I'm always gratified to see that you haven't abandoned it.

Anyway, glad to see you've settled into your new home! Amazing that you've got most of your unpacking done already - it took me months to unpack my modest posessions when I moved.

I hope things will go smoothly for you now, having taken cared of the phone/cable company. How's it feel to be back in touch with the outside world? Lol.

 
At 3 March 2009 at 10:46, Blogger rialisis said...

Hey Angus! Good to see you back up and online! (First time 'commenter' here)

Just want to let you, I always check up on your site now and then for the next penultimate chapter. Always look forward to it despite the fact it'll take me forever to read.

I feel obliged to re-read previous chapters to ensure I remember everything for the new installment. I've stopped reading fanfiction for quite a while now, but always come back to your fic every now and then. Look forward to the next chapter!

 
At 3 March 2009 at 12:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too. I do't read any other fanfiction except for this.

Because this is better. The best fic ever wrote. I nominate it now.

 
At 4 March 2009 at 21:39, Blogger Angus said...

BlackBeyond…okay, thanks, but I think that may be going a bit far. But, er, thanks. :)

 
At 5 March 2009 at 10:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

^_^ Welcome back Angus! I am so glad you're not giving up on this, I've been dying to see it continue. Keep up the great work, I love the story!

 
At 31 March 2009 at 15:05, Anonymous Chris said...

Hi Angus
I was wondering if you had any updates yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home