Saturday 10 May 2008

Creating SM4200

In response to a comment from Ledde, who asked how I go about outlining monster chapters, I thought it might be more interesting to go through the whole process of how SM4200 has come to be. (Then again, it might not. Well, you're under no obligation to read it.)

This will be a fairly monster post, so be warned.

So. SM4200 wasn't my first Sailor Moon fanfic. That honour went to Recessional, which was also my first fanfic of any kind. I still have a soft spot for it. But after Recessional I started writing Ranma stories, with some success, and I was perfectly happy in that territory for a while.

At the same time, though, I had an interesting idea, the same on that's at the top of the home page: What if Crystal Tokyo didn't last nearly as long as everyone seems to think? What if it isn't the happily-ever-after point? What if it all comes down around their ears—and a lot sooner than they think? What if, in the far future, everything has to start all over again?

I toyed with the idea for a while. I was working on another fanfic at the time (Autumn and Spring), but it stayed at the back of my mind and I worked with it a little. Pretty quickly, I decided that the cast would be a mixture of old and new characters. A few of the regulars would have survived, but most of them would be new faces. It was an interesting idea, and one that I hadn't seen before, so I hoped it would be fresh.

I don't remember how or when I decided who would have survived and who would be new. I took it as a given that Moon herself would be a new face, though, and I don't think I ever even considered replacing Pluto. I do remember deciding that I should have one original cat and one new one, and thinking that the new one should be very young and inexperienced. That being the case, I thought that a young and inexperienced female cat might be more fun to write than a male one, and that's the entire reason why Luna died and Artemis got to live.

(Bendis was one of the few cases where I actually researched an appropriate name for a character. Mostly I just used a big list of Japanese names that I have; and in fact that's still where I get my character names from. But for Bendis I knew I needed a "moon" name. Bendis was a Thracian or Phoenician moon goddess, and was associated by the Greeks with Artemis, so I thought that seemed appropriate. In the first few chapters I kept sprinkling lines about "what kind of name is Bendis?" in the hope that someone would ask me, so I could appear well-educated. But nobody ever did. ^_^)

At around this stage, I actually went and wrote the Prelude. I started it in script format. Yes, seriously. This was because my previous fanfic project had been fairly moody and angsty, and I thought SM4200 should be a bit more light-hearted. (Yeah, that lasted.) It's pretty hard to get very moody in script format, and this was at a time where a lot of fan fiction was still appearing in script format anyway, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I've never posted that initial script version publicly, but if you really want, you can read it here (text) or here (HTML). I got half-way through the prelude and realised that the format just wasn't gelling for me; so I gave up and switched to prose, and finished that fairly easily. I posted it on the FFML, which, if you haven't met it, is the best fanfic mailing list on the globe. It attracted a grand total of zero comments, so I went away and wrote a sequel to Autumn and Spring instead.

I still planned to continue SM4200, and I started making notes on names, characters, and so forth. I knew who the big enemy was, and more or less how the good guys would win, and I had a vague idea of the general setting of the story, the city of Third Tokyo, and why it was the way it was. All the cars were electric, for example, because this was just after a new Dark Age, and the world of 4200 had little easy access to oil reserves, most of them having tapped in the 20th and 21st centuries. And so forth.

I started building a World Guide, with the names and a few character notes on all the new senshi, including the ones who still haven't turned up yet. Many of the original concepts for the senshi changed beyond recognition, later; for example, I didn't have the idea that Suzue should be a member of the church of Serenity until I was writing chapter 6.

At work one day, I thought that I really ought to have a rough outline of the whole story, because you can foreshadow events a lot better if you know they'll be coming up in a few chapters. Also, Rei is psychic and I wanted to give her occasional visions of the future.

So I started by deciding how long I thought the story should be. 26 chapters (to match a full "season") seemed a bit long, and in the end I thought 21 sounded about right. Then I simply got a sheet of paper, wrote down the numbers 1 to 21 down the side, and started sketching in events. Just the very big ones to start with, because those were all I really knew at this stage. There needed to be a climactic battle at the end, of course. I knew that I'd be introducing senshi in a different order, and I thought it might be interesting to not introduce Sailor Moon herself until half-way through, so I pencilled that in at chapter 12. Then I put down the introductions of the other senshi, almost at random, in the earlier chapters, so that Moon would actually be nearly the last one to appear. I decided that the story of the Fall would be told in chapter 9, and that Miyo was going to get thrown out by her parents when they found out she was a senshi. (I think I was somewhat influenced by LeVar Bouyer's story Mizuno the Senshi, in which Ami gets thrown out by her mother; but I may be misremembering that.) And so forth. It really didn't take all that long before I had a few sentences—all I really needed, at this stage—on each chapter.

And then I started writing.

Later on, I expanded the outline, of course, and I've continued to do so. The current working outline is a 59K file, filled with not only a chapter-by-chapter breakdown of events, but also containing a big section with notes on why certain characters behave the way they do, and bits of dialogue and lists of scenes that I want to work into the story sometime, and so forth. It all remains a work in progress, and gets updated regularly. Likewise, the World Guide file continues to be developed, as does the Who's Who and the Timeline. (The latter two are also published as appendices 3 and 4 on the SM4200 home page. Except that the published timeline is only an extract from my working document, whereas the published Who's Who actually is my working document.)

Naturally, that original outline is out-of-date now; but less than you might think. It only ever listed two or three key events per chapter, and I've seldom had to reshuffle those. The most prominent example, perhaps, was that originally Sailor Venus was going to have another crime-fighting scene in chapter 4, which I scrapped; and the training session in chapter 10 was originally pencilled down for chapter 9, but got moved when chapter 9 became so enormous.

Let me give you an example or two. Here's the original outline for chapters 12 and 13:


Chapter 12

Mark asks Miyo out.

Itsuko returns to Olympus by night, to transfer the Sacred Flame (and maybe to get her henshin stick, which she still has even if she can’t use it). Masao’s team are waiting for her. She’s captured. (Masao very dubious about capturing a Senshi, especially one of Serenity’s Senshi.)

The other Senshi realise Itsuko is gone, and rush to Olympus.

Battle begins at the Olympus. Sailor Moon appears.

Chapter 13

Conclusion of battle. Tuxedo Mask appears to help out.

Escape from the Olympus. Preservation of the Sacred Fire.

Aftermath of battle: evidence found that some special equipment used to ‘S’ forces were made by ‘M’ Division. Quick (unexpected) raid planned.

Raid on ‘M’ Division. Dhiti meets M. M escapes from ‘M’ Division.


Obviously that changed a little. Mark never asked Miyo out, for example; their relationship had long ago become more complex than that. (I'm not sure if those two will ever get together or not, at this stage. We'll see.)

But here's my current outline of chapter 13—slightly edited to remove spoilers, and omitting a couple of bits that got moved to chapter 14 when I realised that the whole chapter 13 would take place over the course of a single night.


Chapter 13: "The Face of the Enemy"

Conclusion of battle.
DURING FIGHT: Miyo wakes up.
Hiiro tells her to keep down, he'll protect her.
Miyo: Damn you, I'm a warrior. I don't need protecting, I need to fight!

Ghost of Serenity speaks with each senshi, and with Itsuko.

Escape from the Olympus. Preservation of the Sacred Fire.

Moon unmasked as Ochiyo. NB: She has a FULL moon on her forehead, not a CRESCENT.

Aftermath of battle: they were fighting Council people. (Miyo finally remembers where she's seen Lady Blue: on TV.) Final definite realisation that the Council is their enemy. Evidence found that some special equipment used by 'S' forces were made by 'M' Division. OR: The phoney "Sankaku" meeting on chapter 10 tips them off that 'M' Division are involved. Quick (unexpected) raid planned.

When Mars tries her Burning Mandala, with plenty of heat to amplify, NO EFFECT!

Raid on 'M' Division. Dhiti meets M. M escapes from 'M' Division.


Ochiyo to Dhiti: "Aha! You're the Masked Avenger!"


Number Twelve to Chairman: The Master was hard-pressed. Half-asleep, it was difficult to control so many vitrimorphs. And that box -- the blocker effect [rename this!] that severed the Senshi's powers -- hurt the Master too. You're to see that 'M' Division stops any further research on the device!
(Oh really? Chairman makes a mental note.)


The night after meeting Serenity, each new (ie, not reincarnated) senshi meets her predecessor in a dream: Suzue with Haruka, Beth with Minako, etc.
Haruka: So, you're my successor? [...] Where's your sword? [...] That sword is your birthright. If you're truly Sailor Uranus, look for it ... within yourself.


As you can see, a few things still got changed. But this is what I started with, back when I began to write the chapter.

 

Writing a Chapter


My actual writing process goes like this:

All my writing is done in plain text, using a Macintosh application called BBEdit. I start with a new blank text file, and paste the outline text in. This gives me the key events that need to happen. From this, I make a list of major scenes.

Then I start inserting extra scenes. There are a lot of running subplots in SM4200 that never actually appear in the main outline at all. I actually have a separate file of plot threads that need to be resolved sometime; it's depressingly large—over 2000 words. (For example, one entry is about "Seki and her new black-market contact, Gensai Eri." I've no idea how that's going to turn out, but I'll find out sooner or later.) So I add scenes that are needed to continue subplots from the previous chapter.

I also sometimes add scenes simply as character filler—scenes that may not add anything to the plot, but which keep the character "alive". If, for example, I notice that Beth hasn't really appeared much or done anything significant for a while, I might add a short scene with her doing something prosaic, and no doubt musing on current events. This can be a good way to start a new chapter, because it helps to fill the reader in, and gets things warmed up a little. It is, in fact, how chapter 14 opens, at least in the current draft.

(Actually, it's surprising how often those filler scenes end up being significant after all, and sparking off new subplots. That certainly happened in the chapter 14 scene…as you'll see, in due course.)

As I outline the chapter, I'm filling out each scene, adding notes on points that should be covered, or little bits of dialogue that occur to me. After a while, I have a list of scenes in the chapter, each ranging from a single sentence (e.g. "Iku at home") up to several paragraphs.

Then I start writing them. I work very sequentially; scenes get written one at a time, in order. I almost never start work on a later scene when earlier ones haven't been finished; it makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

For each scene, I start inserting text at the beginning of the text, leaving the scene outline alone to start with. As each plot point gets covered, it gets deleted; so the chapter outline gradually gets shorter as the chapter itself increases.

The outline still isn't set in stone; from time to time, I add scenes if they seem necessary. Also, since I'm working sequentially, all my writing tends to be toward the end of the file; and thus, when I open it, it's quickest to scroll to the bottom and then page up to the point where I'm currently working. This means that I'm seeing, at least briefly, the entire outline for the rest of the chapter, every time I open the file; and that in turn keeps the remaining scenes fresh in my mind, so I often end up adding to them. The outline therefore tends to get more and more detailed as the chapter gets longer. At this stage, for example, I have seven major scenes left to write in chapter 14 (one of them partially complete); but the outline for those scenes is nearly 7000 words!

I break the chapter into "major" scenes, by the way, each of which is broken into one or more "minor" scenes. The difference is that a "major" scene ends when there's a significant break in time or location, or at least when the present action is clearly complete. A "minor" scene break is where the basic action of the scene continues, but I'm shifting to a different character viewpoint, or doing something else that seems to need a stronger break than simply starting a new paragraph. Major scenes are separated by lines of asterisks in the text version of the story, or by full-width horizontal lines in HTML; minor scenes are separated by a "--**--" marker in text, or by a shorter horizontal line in HTML.

And that's it. That's pretty much how I work. Sound kind of prosaic, all laid out like that; but of course it leaves out the really fun part of the process: namely, trying to make the characters live.

It's also more than enough for a single post, I think! I hope it was at least of some interest to, er, someone.

8 Comments:

At 11 May 2008 at 07:59, Blogger Jana said...

Wow. I am very impressed at how you write! I'm currently writing a book and I got some ideas about how I can make my book more cohesive and keep everything together.

I admire your dedication to this story so much. It's no easy task and yet you keep on going despite that.

:)

 
At 16 May 2008 at 12:50, Blogger Amanda said...

Once again, I fail to check in for a couple weeks and look at what all I've missed?! I am *VERY* glad to see you are still working on the story, and that things seem to be going well. :D

I apologize in advance, this is ending up incredibly long XD but what advice I've gotten from you in the past has been invaluable, so even if I get very little, or a tome in response, I will treasure it and be honored you took the time to consider it seriously.

I was thoroughly impressed with this entry, and I found it to be very helpful. I am almost ashamed to admit that in all the many times I have sat down to write something of any considerable length (to me, anything above 5-10 pages is a lot, let alone the novel length story I am currently attempting.) and not once have I created an outline. I often think of the things I want to have happen, brainstorm a vague idea of how to get the characters there, and start writing that. That's when I get bored, because I can never seem to get to the good parts. So I'll just skip ahead and write those, or quit altogether. Sometimes I'll spend months alone just designing the characters. I'm very visual, and I draw a lot, so oftentimes I'll have a bunch of pictures of my character, and be arguing with myself over the tiniest details, feeling like I have to fill in every last single hole before I can even start writing their story, and it really bogs me down. I have this compulsion to be difficult, to make things detailed and try to make things unique, but all I end up doing is avoiding the writing, and making things unrealistic. I am equally ashamed to admit many of my characters are "Mary-Sues" of one kind or another, oftentimes based off myself (huge mistake most of the time) and modified slightly, or a lot because "this is me but not, it's what I wish I was." How do you come up with such ingenious characters like Dhiti? And manage to make Makoto feel like Makoto but also make Miyo her own person? And how do you deal with so many characters all at once? How do you manage to make six plus characters not feel like a confused jumble of characters thrown in for variety's sake? One of my problems is that I create too many characters, and I can't make room for them all without it feeling like a free-for-all.

The book I'm writing right now is a self-insert story; the main character is myself, and most of the rest are based off my friends. It is an odd situation, because when it started, the group was my online friends, not in person friends. I felt closer to them than almost all my school friends, and we had a fun time for a while designing our individual characters the way we liked, and I was going to take them and give them some kind of story. I told my closest school friend about it, and that the characters were based off my friends. Next thing I knew, I was at her house and she had about three or four characters based off her and our friends, and a guy designed for each of their characters. Plus a little sister for hers, and suddenly I found things to be very crowded. She got all my current character profiles, and all my story ideas (which at that point had only just begun to take shape) and she started rearranging character's importance or existance altogether,and of course most of my original characters went to the wayside, and hers to the forefront. She came up with back stories so involved, I felt there was really no room to give them the attention they craved when combined with all the other characters and events going on. I am not very aggressive in person, and so I let it happen, I let her take over my story. I had a dream that I told her about, and it decided my story's plot, and she ran with it, deciding so much, that I felt it was no longer mine, that it was her story. I would write some pages, ten at the most at one point, and quit. Because it wasn't mine anymore. It took a couple years of her nagging at me to write more to finally speak up and say I was unhappy with the turn of events. I have taken over my story again, and wrote quite a bit. over 15,000 words all in the span of a week or two. I got a major burst of ambition out of nowhere last May to do that, but then I hit a snag. It has come to the point where her set of characters can join into the story. One of my online friends whose character is back in the story, suggested I have her characters appear, but kill them off. It would serve a good purpose, so it's not a bad idea, but I know my school friend would not like it. So I am in a bind. I have always thought her characters were strong enough to stand on their own in their own story or book, so I flat out asked her what she thought of the idea, and what kind of story they would fit into, or that she would like to see (since they're hers after all), and she copped an attitude and said they were created for my story, and doesn't know where else they could fit. And so, I quit writing, simply because I don't know what to do. I did kind of decide to cut all of hers, but somehow I feel guilty, so I have not made any progress in a little over a year now.

Lately, I have started to get the itch to continue writing, and I have many ideas for completely new stories swimming around in my head, and so I am trying to decide how I can extract her characters from my story, and give them their own. I simply cannot have around 14 main characters, all fighting for their space on the pages, fighting like a pack of wolves deciding who gets to eat first. My original 5 or so and the bad guy is more than manageable.

I guess..I don't know what I want to hear. Its hard to talk about with my friends, because they're either in the story or expect to be in it, so I have few chances for an unbiased opinion. Should I cut my school friend's characters? I would be more than happy to give them their own world to run in, it is just too much to have them run in this one with all the others, but I don't think my friend would be happy.

Somehow this all stemmed from a misunderstanding and my meek unwillingness to speak up from about six years ago. You would think I would maybe have a completed story ready for publishing, or at least ready for a rewrite (since I am only 20, and started this at 14-15, lol) but honestly, I still just have a bunch of characters, and a couple random 10-15 page starts from over the years, and many many notes and ideas, but nothing substantial to show for it but a lot of angst and uncertainty.

I know that underneath all this, and from a writing standpoint, part of my problem in not being able to write this story, is that I have no outline. I have known for many years I should probably make one. But I can't be arsed to do it. I hate conventionalism, and often carve out my own way of doing things. My art teachers and every computer teacher I ever had and I butted heads because of this (i don't use circles and such guides to draw figures, I simply begin by drawing an eye or some sort of main feature, and draw outward. When typing I use the "hunt-and-peck" method, rather than the home key method, and despite this, I was always one of, if not the, fastest typist in the class. In 7th grade alone I tested at 100 wpm.) And so, when it comes to writing rough drafts or making outlines, I just cannot do it. I do not have it in me to make an initial attempt, and turn it in for credit. I HAVE to finish it, and have it be perfect on the first try, or at least the first copy I turn in. Oftentimes, my papers in school had little to no changes from my "drafts" just because of this.

I know this is not a good way to work, although striving for my best is always good. I just don't know how I can write something 400+ pages long the way I'm going now. I have no schooling to draw on for this, since the most involved writing we ever did was for essays (which I was never really good at) or for the rare short story we were assigned to write.

I don't know what I want to hear. I guess I am just frustrated, and wish I had someone who also wrote seriously the way you do to get advice from.

Frustrated,
Amanda L.

P.S. If you would still like to include me in the beta reader group, I would be honored. I need to tell ya my email is no longer at the tmail.com address. My email, permanently, is xseijitsux [at] gmail [dot] com . Looking forward to chapte 14 :D

 
At 16 May 2008 at 19:55, Blogger Angus said...

Hi Amanda—

I'm undecided on how to reply to this. I've a lot to say, but on the whole I think this would be better taken in private email, rather than in the comments of a blog. No offence! I'm not upset or anything; I simply think it would be a more convenient forum.

(On the other hand, if you'd rather see this carried on publicly, as a sort of advice-for-writers dialogue, well, okay. Let me know.)

I'll be in touch.

 
At 16 May 2008 at 23:06, Blogger Amanda said...

E-mail would probably be better, but I certainly wouldn't mind either way. It kind of crossed my mind I was posting that for the world to see >_o but I figured what the hell, who knows what kind of problems others go through when writing stories, and maybe someone else out there has a monkey on their back directing the show.

I will leave it up to you to decide, but don't stress it. I'm not offended either way ^_^ If you think anything you have to say might be helpful to more people than just myself, then go for it! And even if you have some unpleasant things to say, I don't mind where you reply.

Anything is very appreciated!
-Amanda

 
At 17 May 2008 at 20:56, Blogger Ledde said...

Ack ack ack!

Dear heavens, look what I've dooone! xD That was certainly a long, though very interesting read! With a story like SM 4200 thou, it certainly do deserve a behind-the-scenes run, of epical lenght so be it!

Honestly Angus lol, thanks for posting this. I'm always curious to how other writers of longer and more complex stories craft their work, and wow, you just penned a goldmine.

I thought it interesting that your chapter outlines could end up so detailed, and well-planned long in advance. Don't you find that, I dunno, restricting?

What I've done this far with my own work is to make a huge general outline with comments, ideas and whatsnot, with a marker that shows where the story has progressed to at the moment. And then, I plan each and every of the chapter outlines separately when I -get- to that chapter. In short, writing a new chapter for me usually starts off with me writing the outline.

It's worked this far, but I'm amazed at how metodious you are in your writing- like a chessplayer who's already laid the whole plan before entering the game. Though I gotta admit, it shows. SM4200 do feel very down-to-earth structurewise which makes it really easy to read, but at the same time, it lacks the flare of raw ingeniousity that say, Sailor Moon Millenials by The Judge has.

Overall, its really cool to see how you got this rolling- and *keeps* it rolling even after so many years.

Onwards my fellow penwielder! No story shall be left untold in our wake! xD

 
At 28 May 2008 at 12:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a follower of SM4200 for a long time now and after reading this I can really understand just how seriously you take your work. It's awesome that you're so organized, and it shows. This monster fic of yours is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see where you take us next. ^_^

 
At 27 June 2008 at 16:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update :( I'm so scared that a bird is going to drop a turtle on your head or something before you finish this :(

 
At 11 May 2010 at 19:51, Anonymous adinz said...

absolutely, it's very good thing.
:)
thanks for that .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home