Wednesday 13 August 2008

Why do I write so slowly?

Someone made an interesting comment on my last posting. Who do I write so slowly? It must be admitted: a year or more is a hell of a long time to take per chapter.

On the other hand, they're pretty big chapters. Not novel-length, most of them (though chapter 9 actually was the size of a short novel, and chapter 14 is getting into that territory), but still pretty damn big. Back when I started, my goal was to keep each chapter around the 50-60K mark—say, 8000-10,000 words—and put one out every month or so. That lasted until chapter 5, which was double-length; and after that, you might say, the rot set in.

Still, a year is a long time to take to put out 50,000 words. It would be nice to think that they're good words, and that they're worth the wait; and the fact that some of you have been reading this story since the early chapters and actually have been waiting, suggests that you might actually agree. Sometimes I'm even egotistical enough to think so myself. I take my time writing, but I think that the extra thinking time helps me put a good deal more depth in what I'm saying. The early chapters of SM4200 are fast-written and fast-moving, but they're not exactly deep.

Still, I'm a slow writer.

I didn't use to be. When I started writing fan fiction, I was as enthusiastic as all hell. For my first few stories, I was often putting out a chapter a day.

Then I hit the turning point.

If you read a lot of fan fiction, you've probably seen this before. There are plenty of writers who start turning out terrific stories: gripping, wonderfully characterised, with fascinating, well-tuned, complex interlocking plots; you can't read them fast enough. Then one day, you notice that the chapters are taking a little longer to appear. And then, suddenly, the story stops half-way through, and you never hear from the writer again. Sound familiar?

But why? There can be a multitude of reasons. Maybe he simply got a new hobby. Maybe she hit a point where the story wouldn't gel, and decided to take a break to think it over, and never quite got moving again. Maybe he became so absorbed with keeping the quality up while trying to keep the story alive that he suddenly realised that it was taking over his life, and that it just wasn't worth it for a fanfic. Maybe she got writer's block…or a new romance…or a million other things. What they all add up to is: the writer hit a turning point, and after she went on with her life, writing fan fiction got left behind on the far side of the corner.

I've hit lots of turning points over the course of writing SM4200. The biggest one, by far, was chapter 9. It was so big, and so emotionally wracking to write (it sounds trite, but I'm not exaggerating) that it took me forever to finish, simply because there were numerous times along the way when I simply couldn't bear to go back to it. And by the time I did finally finish, I'd lost the writing habit…but more importantly, I'd lost the enthusiasm for writing fan fiction. It had became something that I wanted to have done, but no longer something that I wanted to do.

I have not, however, yet lost the enthusiasm for reading fan fiction. And, above all, I have not lost the enthusiasm for this particular story. It's taking me forever, and I've devoted an enormous part of my life to SM4200 and I'm not at all sure that it's been worth it—but by God I want to see this story finished.

So. I don't write very fast. Or, actually, all that often. I have a life outside writing, and sometimes I'm just more interested in pursuing other things. I go through spasms: periods when I'm writing consistently, almost every day, and then quiet periods when I may not touch a word for weeks. But always, for more than a decade now, I come back to it.

Barring sudden death, or similar hazards, SM4200 will someday be finished. I hope, if you stick around until then, that you'll think that it's been worth the ride.



By the way…I managed to get a little writing time in this evening, for the first time in a week. (For once, the delay hasn't been all my fault.) Chapter 14 has hit 50,000 words. Scary big territory. This is going to be the second-biggest chapter to date, at least.

22 Comments:

At 14 August 2008 at 05:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angus,
don't let them critics get to you. It's true you take your time to conclude your chapters. But, hell, the result is worth every month/year of waiting!!!
I completely understand your arguments, and personally I prefer a well-thought plot with deep charas, that takes time, over any 2-week-endevor from other authors.
I've said it before, and I'll continue to do so: Sailormoon 4200 is the best fanfic in the SM universe and beyond that I've ever read and probably will stay that forever (unless you're reborn and produce a similar masterpiece *hehe*)
So hang on, and tell the critters to shut up!!!

 
At 14 August 2008 at 07:53, Blogger Angus said...

Thanks, but I don't actually regard it as unwarranted criticism. I do write slowly. I do prefer to do other things, a lot of the time.

Lately I've been trying to develop new writing habits, and I've had some sporadic success, but still. If I could manage a thousand words a week, which is a tiny amount, the chapter would have been out well before now. But nope; can't even manage that much, on average.

 
At 14 August 2008 at 14:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving us an explanation. I consider SM 4200 to be the best fanfic that has ever graced the world, and I think it should be published into manga and anime. But waiting since the start has been very frustrating, I enjoyed this story since I was 9 and now I am 16 so I don't know how much longer it could take.

 
At 15 August 2008 at 02:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angus

While you don't own the rights to sailormoon characters etc, you should bind your fanfic into a book. This has been such a fantastic work, for so long in your life, you should keep it special. I have been reading for such a long time and i will always check for a blog update monthly. I'm so glad that you have kept on and i look forward to the conclusion of this epic saga. I think it is truely remarkable what you have done.

 
At 15 August 2008 at 16:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm just glad you have this blog so we know that you're still alive and thinking about the story. Too many good authors just disappear off the face of the earth, their emails go dead, the websites stop working...

But this way, even when it's been however long between updates, we still know that something's coming. So, I'm willing to wait. :) Hell, I waited longer for the Dark Tower series, so it's not like you're the only slow writer out there!

 
At 17 August 2008 at 17:44, Blogger Angus said...

Michelle—Binding it as a book is a cute idea, but somewhat impractical. It would cost plenty do to, the returns would be minimal, and the whole thing would be kind of illegal. I mean, even more than the technical illegality of fan fiction to start with.

That said, I've occasionally thought about putting it together as an eBook which could be downloaded from the site. Would anyone be interested? Dunno. And which eBook format format? ^_^

 
At 17 August 2008 at 22:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's really impressive that you've come this far already., considering how long each chapter is and how much care you put into writing each of them. I would have given up long ago. After all, you aren't getting anything for this except comments from perfect strangers on the internet.;) It's completely understandable that it takes you so long to write a chapter.
On a completely different note, what do you think about PGSM? Just curious because I'm re-watching it right now.
Almut

 
At 17 August 2008 at 23:33, Blogger Angus said...

PGSM? Well, now, how shall I put this ...?

I've watched an episode. One.

It's not that I didn't like it. It wasn't too bad, actually. (Well, okay, actually it was pretty bad. But so was the anime, if you look at isolated episodes. But in the anime, the episodes add up to a lot more, and I'm quite prepared to believe that's the case with PGSM too.)

No, I fully intend to watch more. Er, someday. I've got them downloaded, right here, just waiting. Alongside all the other fansubs I've downloaded but haven't watched yet...

Someday. Yeah. ^_^

 
At 18 August 2008 at 00:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fanfic writers have found different ways to encourage themselves in fanfic production. You mentioned that you like to read fanfic despite that writing fanfic comes so slowly. Why not start up a small SM4200 pre-readers group mailing where yourself and the members of it help in the production? Some of your fans in the past seemed interested in suggesting alternate plot ideas and would send them in with their pre-reading comments.

I think that can be of help. For example, the Step II of the Drunkards Walk (Bubblegum Crisis arc) was made with a lot of suggestions and tweaks by prereaders. There is no question it is the fanfic writer's work despite the contributions of the prereadering group, and the final product was more polished and had more "heft" when you read it.http://www.eclipse.net/~rms/dwmain.shtml

I was one of the contributing pre-readers for the above BGC arc and the mailing list went very well. It's amazing how many ideas appeared and the author was obviously quite encouraged at the level of contribution.

 
At 18 August 2008 at 00:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fanfic writers have found different ways to encourage themselves in fanfic production. You mentioned that you like to read fanfic despite that writing fanfic comes so slowly. Why not start up a small SM4200 pre-readers group mailing where yourself and the members of it help in the production? Some of your fans in the past seemed interested in suggesting alternate plot ideas and would send them in with their pre-reading comments.

I think that can be of help. For example, the Step II of the Drunkards Walk (Bubblegum Crisis arc) was made with a lot of suggestions and tweaks by prereaders. There is no question it is the fanfic writer's work despite the contributions of the prereadering group, and the final product was more polished and had more "heft" when you read it.http://www.eclipse.net/~rms/dwmain.shtml

I was one of the contributing pre-readers for the above BGC arc and the mailing list went very well. It's amazing how many ideas appeared and the author was obviously quite encouraged at the level of contribution.

--AnimeJanai

 
At 18 August 2008 at 02:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About PGSM:
Well, once you look past Usagi's cheap-looking trinkets and the hilariously awful youma, the series is quite nice. I like the characterisation very much and the girls are cute.
:)

 
At 19 August 2008 at 07:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we still love you.

just don't die or anything before you finish it.

 
At 20 August 2008 at 08:11, Blogger Jana said...

No worries, Angus.

I completely agree with your arguments, even though you shouldn't have to argue in the first place. But that's just my opinion.

One of the things that I love about SM4200 is the QUALITY of the writing, not the speed at which it is produced. I am more than happy to wait for however long it takes.

Also, you've a real life to worry about to. That always comes first.

:)

 
At 28 August 2008 at 13:55, Blogger Amanda said...

Don't even worry about it taking so long! I've been reading this I think coming up on two and a half years, and it is absolutely worth the wait. For a story idea this heavy and serious, I would rather you took your time and made it the best it could be. Sometimes the wait is frustrating, but that's what hobbies are for! :P Far, far too many fanfics, Sailor Moon and others, are so mind-numbing...it's just nice to have something intelligent to read. That's not to say everything else is crap, who knows how many of those stories are the product of a brilliant writer in training? We all start somewhere, and you've just evolved to the point where it deserves to be taken as seriously as you are taking it. And we all thank you for it :3

As always, can't wait for the next update!

 
At 30 August 2008 at 06:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey if angus dies, a group of us fans will learn black magic, and hold a senace and force his SPIRIT to continue writing

SM4200 will have its conclusion!!
so i can show it to my kids... or grandkids

 
At 30 August 2008 at 10:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive been reading this story since at least my senior year of high school, so about eight or nine years now. There was a time in there, I was afraid the story had been dropped...but I was so glad when I remembered the fanfiction one day, and found two new chapters waiting.

I don't care if it takes you another ten years or more. The story is fantastic. And its not like this is your job, its your hobby. You shouldn't be expected to turn out several thousand words in a matter of week. You're not even expected to stay dedicated to a fanfiction. But there certainly are a ton of readers, myself included, who appreciate your desire to see it finished.

We'll be there all the way until the final chapter is written, whenever that may be. Thanks for the work and years you've put into this beautiful story.

 
At 8 September 2008 at 21:26, Blogger Ledde said...

Haha, I feel ya there on hitting the "wall".

But really, no need to explain yourself. We fanfic writers write out of love for a fandom. It all gets down to that we're not getting paid in the end. We do need a second profession, to keep ourselves and our families happy and fed after all.

 
At 8 September 2008 at 21:59, Blogger Angus said...

My thanks to you all for your support.

I might add, apropos of nothing, that the reason I'm writing so slowly right now is that I'm trying to get a scene to work and it's just totally lifeless. I've written the damn thing three times now and it's utterly flat. Grr.

Only three scenes left until the chapter is finished, by the way. But two of those will be kind of big. I'm thinking there'll be an invasion, a battle, a death, a rescue, a fire, and a lullaby. How's that for a teaser? ^_^

 
At 10 September 2008 at 11:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thats horrible!!!
ahh,ok
we just have to wait until at most Christmas, right???
spoilers about the scene you're stuck on?

 
At 11 September 2008 at 18:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of those fans who started reading Sailormoon 4200 a decade ago when Sailormoon was still being dubbed and released on U.S. tv. I'm thrilled you're even so dedicated to releasing your chapters even once a year (and they take me several hours to read), and that you haven't abandoned the story. I'm also thrilled you have a blog so that - unlike past years - I don't wonder if I ought to be writing a eulogy for you or for the story.

I think you do deserve to have a single, personal, print copy of your masterpiece (albeit potentially several volumes) when its all said and done. If you can figure out how to ask for donations without violating the sailormoon copyrights, than I am certain that your fans would be willing to pitch in what we can spare to provide the funds.

 
At 12 October 2008 at 06:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nyuu~ No worries,Angus. I only started lurking around about a year ago, but I've already re-read it (though not neccessarily in order) and I'm amazed at all of the little hints and other interesting stuff you leave lying around. I haven't managed to see more than about 9 or 10 episodes of SM since I was a kid, but stories like yours are part of what keeps me from dropping it (and fanfiction in general)
in my memory bag.

No worries about timing anyways. The chapters are always nice and long, and one of the few stories I know of that can make you laugh and cry quite a bit within the same reading. Meh. You're a freaking awesome author, Angus. Lots of published authors in "real life" take a while too. (Harry Potter, The Inheritance Cycle, etc.)

No matter how long it takes Angus, your characters and their story rock and I'm sure I'm definately not the only one who'll be ready and waiting to read and re-read over and over again after this tale reaches a conclusion.

*lavishes custom made flags and plushies of Beth, Iku, Dhiti, and everyone upon you*


~Fenris and Cerberus

 
At 29 October 2008 at 13:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking to see if you're ok? It's been a while since you posted here.

Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home