Sunday 24 June 2007

Finished!

Yes, really. The first draft of chapter 13 is complete. Grand total: 42,831 words—about 247K.

The last 3,000 words were written today. The very last bit finished was the in-recent-chapters blurb, which always takes a while because it has to be hand-justified. (If you read the text version of SM4200, you'll know what I mean.)

sigh   Whew.




What happens next: I'll take a day or two's break, and then give the whole thing another read-through. It's pretty likely that I'll want to revise the last sections, because they were written at some speed. ^_^ After that, it goes out to the pre-readers.

Don't expect to see it posted for a while yet—probably a month or more, based on previous experience. After all, this is a big chapter and it takes a while for a careful pre-reader to go through that much text.

In the meantime, I get to start worrying about what goes in chapter 14! To be honest, it's not a chapter I relish writing; there's going to be some nasty stuff in there. But it's stuff that's been on the cards for a long time, and it needs to happen…we'll see how it goes. Hopefully a bit faster than 13, at least…!

7 Comments:

At 24 June 2007 at 03:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ecellent work, Angus!^_^ Looking forward to reading it. It's great that you're always this dedicated and careful about your writing.
Hey, there's a photo of you here now. Somehow you look different then I imagined..but I'm not really sure how I imagined you. Ha ha, I'm not making much sense.
-Almut

 
At 24 June 2007 at 05:19, Blogger Jana said...

Congratulations!

Can't wait to read it!

^_^

 
At 24 June 2007 at 14:48, Blogger Lynz said...

Oh my gosh!! Yaaay! This is so super exciting.

Go Angus, Go!!

 
At 25 June 2007 at 07:04, Blogger Angus said...

Thanks, everyone. It's certainly a relief to have it done.

I spent most of my writing time yesterday going back through the earlier chapters, making a list of all the outstanding plot threads I'm going to have to close up somehow before the story's finished. There are a depressing number of them...

Almut -- I know exactly wht you mean. I've felt exactly the same way when I've seen photos of some of my favourite writers. ^_^

 
At 28 June 2007 at 08:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh this is exciting! congratulations on another finished chapter, and i can't wait to read it! thank you for working so hard on it, we all love it and appreciate it immensely.

i do hope everything is going alright with you these days, you seem to sound a little happier than you had been. it's nice to see.

 
At 28 June 2007 at 17:24, Blogger Angus said...

Thanks Amanda. I have to say I feel a lot happier too! Starting writing seriously again has helped me a lot, I think. I always feel so much better when I'm actually creating something. It may only be fanfic, and it may only end up being read by a few people, but still it's so much better than doing nothing at all...

 
At 3 July 2007 at 18:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Angus. Sure, at the moment you have just a small cadre of loyal readers, but some day we'll be your militant right hand in your bid for WORLD DOMINATION.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home