Friday 18 August 2006

Where I'm At, and Where I'm Gonna Be

Thank you all for the comforting messages. They do mean a lot.

I guess, if you're reading this, I owe you an explanation for what's happening. Basically, I have been stalled on SM4200 for quite a while now. Stalled for technical reasons.

The situation is this: chapter 13 is a turning point in the story, as you might guess. Quite a few plot-lines are intersecting; it's not unfair to say that chapter 13 is really where the whole story shifts direction. (As, indeed, I noted in the Author's Note way back in chapter 7.)

Trouble is getting those damn plotlines to intersect smoothly. ^_^ I have a particular scene I'm working on where six separate threads have to fit together—and I'm having a hell of a time tying them all in while keeping it natural. The sequencing just doesn't want to work. I've written and rewritten this thing five or six times now, but when I look at it objectively it's still all "wait a minute, this makes no sense… they wouldn't do that while this hasn't been taken care of yet, and why hasn't anyone brought this up yet&hellip?" In short, it doesn't hang together.

Sooner or later I'll solve the problem and then I expect progress to be quite fast, since the scene that follows is one that's been playing in my head for several years. But for now, I'm butting my head against a brick wall.

There won't be any progress for the next few weeks, either, because I'm going overseas. My brother is getting married in Munich, and I'm going to the wedding. I'll be away for three weeks, visiting Singapore, Germany, Austria and Italy…and finally meeting one or two people I've only swapped emails with up to now (hi, Helmut). The travel preparations have also not helped my writing speed, as you might guess.

Meanwhile, I'd give you a current word-count, but it'd be meaningless because the chapter file is filled with half-written bits of scene and failed notes to myself.

And that's where I'm at.

8 Comments:

At 19 August 2006 at 14:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see this update! True, we're still waiting but I know it's going to be soooo worth it once you get that major scene worked out! It's going to rock so much.

Enjoy your holiday! And then come home and write your heart out :)

-Lynz

 
At 21 August 2006 at 03:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to hear something out of you.
I can only speak for myself when I say this, but year long waits for chapter updates from you don't bother me at all. In fact, I'm impressed with your need for perfection... instead of releasing a chapter that just isn't up to par, you take your time to make certain that everything rolls together smoothly and sensibly. Kudos to you!
Maybe all you need is a break from your writing in order to come back and make everything flow together. I know that for myself leaving and then later coming back to a problem helps me to overcome that problem. And if not, oh well...
Enjoy your trip.
~Paige

 
At 21 August 2006 at 13:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note. It's so nice to know that the story is still being worked on. Enjoy your trip. Hopefully everything will flow properly once you get home and writing again.


Joan

 
At 26 August 2006 at 04:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word to what the other comments said. That's so much better than most other fanfic writers who post chapter after chapter with about 50 words each to get lots of "U ROK OMG LOL" reviews.
Enjoy your trip. ^^
-Almut (a German reader BTW :))

 
At 26 August 2006 at 17:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get back, I'll be expecting to see you write Pluto out of the story since she is no longer one of the Sailor Scouts. Apparantly the Sailor Scouts are kicking her out of the group and admitting a new member Xena.....

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2006/08/25/pluto-reaction.html

 
At 10 September 2006 at 00:44, Blogger Angus said...

Bah. Astronomical fads come and go, but the Gates of Time are forever. ^_^

 
At 17 October 2006 at 08:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cry inside at the thought of the next chapter being postponed even more, but I wait faithfully. ^^

Have a fantastic time!
-blackbeyond

 
At 8 November 2006 at 10:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angus...where are you?
-Lynz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home