Saturday 20 November 2004

Okay, I admit it

I admit it. One of the reasons I write so slowly is that I also spend a lot of time reading fanfiction. I currently have around 288 MB saved away on my hard disk.

(If you care about breakdowns, there's about 97 MB of Ranma; 40 MB of Sailor Moon; 79 MB of crossovers (most of which, inevitably, tend to include either Ranma or Sailor Moon); 9 MB of Evangelion; and dribs and drabs of other series.)

Who are my favourite authors? Damn hard question to answer. There're hundreds of authors I wish were still writing. The Judge's story Millennials springs to mind—though admittedly it's only been a year since the last chapter, and my own last chapter took two years. Fire is another author I'd love to see more from. Brian Randall, Ken Wolfe and D B Sommer also come to mind (D B is still writing, but not so fast any more). The current writer I'm most enjoying is Aondehafka; but that could easily change tomorrow if I find a good story by someone else.

The story that's affected me most strongly, ever, is Damaged by Elizabeth Tuckwood. I've never worked up the courage to re-read it. Not sure if I'm more afraid that it would affect me that way again, or that it wouldn't.

I check the latest postings on fanfiction.net every day or two—doesn't everybody?—but it's very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff there. They could really use some kind of rating system. (I've developed my own private set of rules for cutting down the number of stories I even look at; I expect a lot of other readers have, too.) Meanwhile, if you have any recommendations for terrific stories, I'd be interesting in hearing them…

6 Comments:

At 23 November 2004 at 07:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried "Life's Lesson's" yet? It's another crystal tokyo fic with twist a twist. The story is quite enjoyable and it's one of the best fanfics I found on FF.net

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/240242/1/

-Kismet

 
At 23 November 2004 at 17:22, Blogger Angus said...

I had, actually. Sort of. I seem to have read the first four chapters, and then lost track of the story. I wonder why...?
Well, now that you've pointed it out again, I see that it's finished, so I can read the rest... Thanks!

 
At 23 November 2004 at 23:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would recommend "Clean" by Don.

The style was artfully almost like reality itself, and one of the kinds that seen *another* side that could possible come for Crystal Tokyo. Definitely not for those who likes happy endings, but I liked it. It was an excellent story. ^_^

Another would be "Roommate" by VenusSmurf, but that's if you are into Minako/Kunzite pairing. (and the rest of the senshi/shitennou)She has a sequel up now, titled Soulmates, but I disgress, it's a damn good story.

Moving on, one good way of picking out the good stories out of the haystack is to look at the number of reviews. The more, the better. Certainly not the best way, but...better than nothing at all, I would think.

And I share your sentiments on the reason of writing slowly. It certainly got people chasing me around. XD
Alas, kudos of Sailormoon 4200. It was a good - long - story that I have seen since a while back.

 
At 24 November 2004 at 13:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend the monster epic, the Fragility of Time by etj4Eagle.
It's something that cannot be read in one night.

The Premise:
Traveling for her second trip to the past something goes wrong and ChibiUsa arrives back when Zoicite was leading the Dark Kingdom's attack. Unfortunatly for Sailor Pluto, ChibiUsa was not the only traveler affected and the future is forever changed.

URL: http://www.moonromance.net/portal_storyview.php?sid=10178&return=new.php&viewtype=2

She rewrites the whole Sailor Moon Timeline in a very creative way. (incomplete, but 34 chapters and counting)

Second recommendation: The Brooch by sailorknight
Premise: The atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima weakened the barriers between dimensions and allows the Dark Kingdom to invade Earth 50 yrs before Sailor Moon is born. In 1992, Usagi Tsukino escapes a Dark Kingdom slave pen and her story begins...

It's a dark story and the first two chapter reads like a war journal. He has written only 5 chapters so far.
http://www.moonromance.net/portal_storyview.php?sid=16559&return=librarysearch.php&viewtype=2

Hope you enjoy them
Maaya

 
At 24 November 2004 at 16:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving the Brooch so far and eagerly anticipate the next chapter. I think it was of the most unique and original stories being written at the moment.
-lynz tymon

 
At 11 January 2005 at 16:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHY ARE YOU DISTRACTING HIM... from writing his story? :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home