Fandom at Work
Since I posted chapter 16 on fanfiction.net, I’ve had some interesting responses.
A few have been from people commenting to say they liked the story. (So far, nobody is saying they didn’t like it, which is a sop to my ego.)
But the great majority of FF.net responses have been private messages from people—all of them women, supposedly—saying “wow I loved this”…and then hinting that they’d like to discuss things in more detail, and suggesting we get in contact on Discord. Well, I don’t use Discord; never have, no plans to start. When I tell them that, they grudgingly admit that email might be OK. I tell them, sure, if you do a Google search for “Sailor Moon 4200” my web-page is the first hit, and every page on there contains my email address.
Not a single one of these purported women has ever emailed me. Isn’t that interesting?
Naturally, trusting soul that I am, I would never imagine that these people are trying to rope me into some kind of scam. I’m sure their Google skills are just a bit on the lacking side.
I do wonder if anyone actually reads the story on FF.net, or if I’m wasting my time doing the format conversion to post it there. I thought of posting it on ASMR, but that doesn’t seem to exist any more. Well, so it goes.
Meanwhile, chapter 17 progress update: 7527 words.
Labels: fans


4 Comments:
A lot of the younger fans are on Archive of Our Own or AO3, if you want to try that one. FFnet is sort of dead. Glad to see you're back! I'm going to start my big re-read tonight!
I will second the other poster, I've preferred Archive of Our Own since 2014. Authors can remove unwanted comments/scams or block trolls any time no matter how long ago it was posted and from anyone. I only go to FF.net if I get a new chapter alert or new story alert on something not on Ao3, which nowadays is maybe twice a year.
It is awesome that you are already working on chapter 17!
Thank you so much for coming back to write more!
Julie
I'll look at posting it on AO3, maybe.
Meanwhile though, SM4200 is getting a bit long in the tooth…I'd better knuckle down and complete it or it might never get finished at all!
We won't complain if you complete it!
And yes, I will third the suggestion - AO3 has solidly supplanted fanfiction.net for good reason, and the only reason anyone would go to the latter is if they're digging for old fanfics, not new or newly-updated ones. They're dedicated to being a permanent archive for as long as the Internet is around. I wish more old fanfic archives got transfered over to it.
Post a Comment
<< Home